Re: [squid-users] Squid3: vhost reverse proxy/accel bw extender

From: Neil A. Hillard <hillardn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:48:04 +0100 (BST)

Jim,

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003, Jim Flowers wrote:
> I want to set up a squid3 accelerator to act as a bandwidth extender for
> multiple virtual websites on multiple hosts on multiple networks.

<snip>

> I have had all of this working in a test environment except for setting up
> the virtual hosts in Squid3 (3.0-PRE2-20030730). I don't quite understand
> the configuration file, I think. Here is the way that I read it:
This is bizarre timing - I'm attempting to do something similar with
3.0PRE2 and failing miserably !!!

I have performed the following changes to the stock squid.conf:

http_port 80 vhost
icp_port 0
cache_peer 1.2.3.4 parent 80 0 no-query originserver
name=server.domain.com
cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/var/cache 100 16 256
hosts_file /etc/hosts
auth_param basic program /usr/local/squid/libexec/squid_rad_auth
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic realm Restricted Access
auth_param basic credentialsttl 1 hours
acl password proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow all <-- added to ease troubleshooting
http_access allow password
cache_effective_user squid
cache_effective_group squid
always_direct allow all

The http_accee allow all was added so that I didn't have to keep
generating a one-time password with my authentication token - it will be
removed when this thing's working !!!

I am, for some reason, getting a forwarding loop:
2003/08/07 16:54:30| WARNING: Forwarding loop detected for:

I've added the following in to /etc/hosts (I know you had to with 2.5,
not sure about 3.0):

1.2.3.4 server.domain.com

Anyone got any suggestions ??? I've had similar working on 2.5 but can't
get it to work on 3.0. Is there a howto anywhere ???

Any advice greatfully accepted.

Many thanks in advance,

                                Neil.

--