Re: Anti-virus and squid integration. Any hacker ?

From: Koen Bosmans <kbo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2000 10:04:05 +0200

> What I'm a bit worried about is that all data goes through a scanner in a
> store and forward mode. How about the introduced latency? Experience anyone?

Yes, I used/tested that WebShield for Linux from McAffee (They don't support it
anymore)
The principle was very easy, download the requested data to the WebShield Server
-> Scan it -> give it to the Client.

This works fine for small files because you won't notice anything. But when the
files get bigger and the download time of the file increases then you get your
download progress bar waiting at 0% as long as the file needs to download on the
WebShield Server + scanning. When this is finished then the progressbar get
into action again and reaches the speed of your LAN!!
This is very irritating when downloading big files because you don't know if
he's realy downloading the file or is still searching for it

Koen Bosmans