Re: What's in the NT branch

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 21:44:51 +0100

Hi Alex,

At 23:49 13/03/2008, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> > I think that the main problem here is that there is still only one
> > Windows developer and this developer is not a full time developer:
> > I'm mainly a consultant, not a developer.
>
>I think the main problem is that folks committing changes have no sane
>way of testing those changes on Windows. We do not see Windows-specific
>bugs and have no sane way of detecting them. Thus, we cannot fix them.
>
>What we should probably do as a first step is to setup a Windows machine
>and compile Squid there as a part of nightly regression tests (and
>on-demand). Commits failing regression tests will be backed out.
>
>Can you provide and configure such a machine for remote ssh access to a
>restricted account that will run your regression test script? We can
>then integrate that with the Unix regression test bench.

Let me to see how many CPU/memory/disk space is still available on
the VMware host at may office.
But configure a SSH access to a Windows machine is not so easy,
because a native CMD prompt is needed for Visual Studio build, I'm
testing some free product.

>If you cannot provide the machine with remote access, can you be
>responsible for configuring the [virtual] machine that I will provide?
>If yes, please let me know what Windows version it should run and what
>is the best way to enable you to access it for configuration.

A good devel/test platform could be:
- Windows server 2003 Standard Edition
- Visual Studio 2005
- MSYS+MinGW
- Cygwin

The only usable protocol for the setup is the MS RDP (Terminal
Server) protocol.

But I hope to provide myself a Virtual Machine fot this job.

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/