Re: What's in the NT branch

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 16:49:17 -0600

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 20:48 +0100, Guido Serassio wrote:

> Too much times something like this is happened:
>
> - Update from CVS of my work dir
> - Fix of build problems
> - Commit of fixes
> - Finished the little time that I have available for development,
> usually during weekend
> - Hope to do some test/debug during the next weekend
> - During the next week someone commit changes in the source
> - Update from CVS of my work dir (again during weekend)
> - Fix of NEW build problems
> - Commit of fixes
> - Finished again the little time that I have available for
> development just for fix NEW problems .....
>
> This is very disappointing and is the reason because I like to have a
> separated branch ....

Having a separate branch will not fix the above problem, it will only
mask it. It is pretty much the same as if you were to stop updating from
HEAD: the problems will accumulate and become more difficult to fix when
you decide to merge.

I think it is perfectly fine to have a private branch if you want to
commit often and merge infrequently. I just would not expect that to
save you time or nerve cells, unfortunately.

> I think that the main problem here is that there is still only one
> Windows developer and this developer is not a full time developer:
> I'm mainly a consultant, not a developer.

I think the main problem is that folks committing changes have no sane
way of testing those changes on Windows. We do not see Windows-specific
bugs and have no sane way of detecting them. Thus, we cannot fix them.

What we should probably do as a first step is to setup a Windows machine
and compile Squid there as a part of nightly regression tests (and
on-demand). Commits failing regression tests will be backed out.

Can you provide and configure such a machine for remote ssh access to a
restricted account that will run your regression test script? We can
then integrate that with the Unix regression test bench.

If you cannot provide the machine with remote access, can you be
responsible for configuring the [virtual] machine that I will provide?
If yes, please let me know what Windows version it should run and what
is the best way to enable you to access it for configuration.

Thank you,

Alex.