[squid-users] separate channels for http and https to the same host

From: admered1 <andrew_at_anvil.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 04:57:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Folks,

I have done a good deal of googling and experimenting and I cannot yet make
this work.

What I am trying to do is as follows.

Core server is core.example.com and has Apache running on both http and
https ports. The webcache is on www.example.com (and also now
ssl.example.com). The two ports on the corer server give different content.
There is a bunch of general content on http that does not require
authenticated access. There is a bunch of authenticated content on the https
port. ie addresses on http://www.exmple.com/... will not be present on
https://www.example.com/... and vice versa.

The squid cache is operating as a webcache and is listening on both 80 and
443. But the usual result is that all requests to both 80 and 443 on the
webcache go either to the core server's port 80 or 443. I cannot seem to
make it send port 80 requests on to the core server's port 80 on the core
machine and port 443 on the webcache to the core server's port 443.

I have it working currently by adding ssl.example.com as a pure ssl address
and www.example.com as a pure port 80 address. ie the squid proxy seems to
use the hostname alone and does not take any notice of the port number.

I'm sure this must be a relatively common layout, so am surprised I haven't
seen anything about this online.

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy M