Re: [squid-users] 3.4.0.1 dnsreq statistics question

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 04:18:38 +1200

On 31/07/2013 2:22 a.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> * Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
>> On 30/07/2013 11:15 p.m., Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>>> I had good results replacing 3.3.8 with 3.4.0.1 - no changes to the
>>> config were needed.
>>>
>>> One interesting observation: The dnsreq statistics are different. With
>>> 3.3.8 the graphs for requests and replies were "identical". Plotted on
>>> top of each other -- only one graph could be seen.
>>>
>>> Since switching to I'm seeing MORE requests than replies. Not much,
>>> but enough for the graphs to be seen individually. Currently I'm
>>> seeing 10.17 requests and 8.21 replies per second.
>>>
>>> Is this to be expected?
>> Yes and No.
>>
>> Yes, 3.4 added mDNS support which have no particular guarantee of
>> getting any response. If you do not have mDNS setup the .local
>> requests will timeout instead, before moving on to the global
>> resolution methods.
> So I would see *.local queries in the query log on the local caching
> DNS on the machine?

I would expect to yes. At least that was the behaviour when I tested it.
  -> lookup for invalid.local in mDNS server -> timeout
  -> lookup for invalid.local in local NS server -> NXDOMAIN

>> No, because the above event should only show up on single-label
>> domain names in URL or Host: header.
> Like accesssing http://www ?

Ah sorry I steered a bit wrong. Squid will not add the .local part
itself. Resolv.conf or equivalent "search list" settings are still
required to do that mapping part. The mDNS only steps in with a
different resolver if the domain tail matches ".local".

>> And if you do have .local mDNS setup in the network
> We don't use that in the server networks.

Okay. Then mDNS should be irrrelevant.

What does the idns cache manager report say about #QUERIES vs #REPLIES
on each of your NS ?

Amos