Re: [squid-users] Squid on a powerfull server: how to setup ?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:09:52 +0300

Hey,

Depends on what is purpose of the proxy.
if it's only filtering then just use SMP without HDD case.
I assume this is not the case.
In the old days you would just run couple instances of squid and
intercept by a RR like into different squid instances.

In squid SMP you can try to use ROCK store that stores small objects in
order to use SMP and cache_dir together.
the first thing is to just run SMP without any cache just to start it up
and make sure it runs smoothly..
In the next step you can try to add the cache_dir.
If you want to measure the RAID1 efficiency feel free.
Dont rush into SSD since it's nice but you now have the specific
hardware that can work fine just like that.
What Raid are you using?? HW or SW or LVM?
I assume that you are not only trying to save couple small pieces of
bandwidth??

Eliezer