[squid-users] Squid Reverse Proxy cannot open ports

From: jc.yin <jc.yin.cn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 14:00:25 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure if what I've done is correct but I've tried my best to follow
the instructions found on the Squid documentation page.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy

Basically I need to set up a reverse Squid proxy with the web server on the
same server.

Basically what I did was:

1. Add these to the top of Squid.conf file

"http_port the.public.ip.address:80 accel defaultsite=your.main.website
cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver

acl our_sites dstdomain your.main.site.name
http_access allow our_sites
cache_peer_access myAccel allow our_sites
cache_peer_access myAccel deny all"

2. Add this to ports.conf is /etc/apache2

Listen 127.0.0.1:80

Then I've restarted both Squid and Apache but when I try to access
"the.public.ip.address" which is my test server's public address, I get the
message unable to connect. This must mean that my ports are incorrectly
configured.

From what I understand, in order for both Squid Reverse Proxy and the Web
Server to reside together,

1. Squid has to be set to listen to port 80 on the public IP (which I've set
according to the instruction)

2. Apache has to be set to listen to 127.0.0.1 on port 80 (this part I'm
kinda confused and probably messed up)

I found this tutorial but it suggested some totally different methods from
the official Squid method and I couldn't find most of the functions its
asking me to change:
http://www.visolve.com/squid/whitepapers/reverseproxy.php

Apart from that I've not had too much luck finding documentation on setting
up Squid Reverse Proxy and Web Server on the same server, so that's why I'm
asking here.

Any help is really appreciated
Cheers

*P.S* I have changed all of the "the.public.ip.address" to my public IP