[squid-users] Re: Per user bandwidth usage counting

From: babajaga <augustus_meyer_at_yahoo.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 15:42:18 -0700 (PDT)

I did not find a solution to a similar problem like yours for my proxy, to
limit the daily/monthly download limit for the users, identified with basic
auth.
I wrote a simple external helper, analyzing the access log. Every user, who
exceeds his limit, is entered into a simple textfile, which contains the
list of users, to be denied access despite being authorized.
When access is denied, a special error page is displayed.
Every update of the textfile, however, needs a "squid -k reconfigure" to be
effective.
So it depends upon number of users, exceeding their limit, whether this
might be noticable or not.
For my requirements, it can be tolerated. Otherwise, the external helper
must be smarter, to check the DB directly. Or even caching invalidated
users.