Re: [squid-users] squid 3.x expected max throughput

From: Kinkie <gkinkie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:37:39 +0200

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM, Youssef Ghorbal <djo_at_pasteur.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there any recent figures about max throughput to be expected from a squid 3.x install (on recent hardware) in the scenario of a single stream downloading a large file (> 1GB) (read not cacheable)
> I'm aware that's not a performance metric per se, but it's one of the scenarios we have to deal with.
>
> Few weeks ago, Amos talked about 50Mb/s (client + server) for a squid 3.1

Hi,
  50mb/s seems a very conservative estimate to me; in that scenario
Squid is essentially acting as a network pipe.
Assuming this is a lab (and we can thus ignore bandwidth and latency
on the internet link), the expectation is that this kind of scenario
for squid will be CPU and network I/O bound, so in order to give any
sensible answer we'd need to know what kind of network interface you
would use (fast-ethernet? Giga-ethernet copper? Giga-ethernet fiber?
Even faster?), what kind of CPU and what kind of system architecture
(server-class? pc-class? virtual?)

--
    /kinkie