Re: [squid-users] anyone knows some info about youtube "range" parameter?

From: Ghassan Gharabli <sounarose_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 02:18:47 +0300

Hello Eliezer,

Are you trying to save all video chunks into same parts or capture /
download the whole video object through CURL or whatever! but i dont
think it should work since it will occure an error with the new
Youtube Player.

What I have reached lately is saving same youtube video chunks that
has youtube 360p itag=34 ,480p itag=35 without saving its itag since
i want to save more bandwidth (thats why i only wrote scripts to you
as an example) which means if someone wants to watch 480p then he
would get the cached 360p contents thats why i didnt add the itag but
if he thought of watching 720p and above then another script would
catch it matching ITAG 37 , 22 ... I know that is not the best
solution but at least its working pretty well with no erros at all as
long as the client can always fast forward .

Im using Squid 2.7 Stable9 compiled on windows 64-bit with PERL x64.

Regarding the 302 Redirection .. I have made sure to update the
source file client_side.c to fix the loop 302 Redirection but really I
dont have to worry now about anything so what is your target regarding
Youtube with argument Range and whats the problem till now ?

I have RAID with 5 HDD and the average HTTP Requests per minute :
2732.6 and because I want to save more bandwidth I try to analyze HTTP
Requests so i can always update my perl script to match most wanted
websites targetting Videos , Mp3 etc.

For a second I thought of maybe someone would help to compile an
intelligent external helper script that would capture the whole
byte-range and I know it is really hard to do that since we are
dealing with byte-range.

I only have one question that is always teasing me .. what are the
comnparison between SQUID and BLUE COAT so is it because it is a
hardware perfromance or just it has more tricks to cache everything
and reach a maximum ratio ?

Ghassan