Re: [squid-users] Squid Reverse Proxy (accel) always contacting the server

From: Daniele Segato <daniele.segato_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 10:15:08 +0200

On 04/02/2012 02:04 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>> yes I experimented.. I think 60 seconds is perfect for max-age and I
>> get rid of Expires time, it's overridden by the max-age anyway.
>
> For Squid-3.1+ yes that is true, older HTTP/1.0 software only obeys
> Expires:. So it is a matter of whether you want to further leverage any
> old software caches around the 'Net your users might be behind.

good to know!
I don't need support for old HTTP/1.0 but I'll keep it in mind, thanks

>> that's really interesting but I didn't find anything about it here:
>> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html
>>
>> is it standard?
>>

> Yes. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5861
>
> NP: Squid-3 is not obeying it properly yet, but other caches around the
> 'Net do. So its incrementally useful already and when we roll it into
> Squid the gain will be immediate wherever its used.

I wonder why the w3c doesn't list it.

thanks! I'll integrate it as soon as possible

when you say squid3 do not obey properly to it what do you exactly mean?

> Cache-Control:stale-if-error=N, also documented in RFC 5861. Squid-3.2
> obey this one already. Sorry, no 3.1 support.

our squid3 production server is a 3.1 but I'll implement it so that it
comes to work when we upgrade it!
thanks again, you've been of great help.

> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/DebugSections

perfect!

ciao,
Daniele