Re: [squid-users] logging skype

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 20:35:32 -0300

Helmut,

It is not easy detecting Skype.
When PCs of end users are blocked by the firewall,
Skype will use the Squid proxy to go the internet.
Squid only sees a CONNECT on the HTTPS port 443 and does
not know what goes through.
You will see a <IP>:443 in the access.log file.

ufdbGuard is a URL filter which can be configured to allow/block Skype.
If you configure it to allow Skype and to log all URL requests,
you will have a log file (ufdbguardd.log) showing which IP addresses
and which URLs are used for Skype.

You can contact me off list in case you have questions about ufdbGuard.

Marcus