Re: [squid-users] Fwd: squid 3.1 to export access_log to rsyslog

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:12:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, osmany_at_es.quimefa.cu wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to know how to export access_log in squid to a central
> rsyslog in my network
> I know I should you a local rsyslog daemon to forward logs to the central
> server but I just can't
> get squid to actually write to the local rsyslog daemon and I tried
> various things:
>
> access_log syslog:daemon
> access_log rsyslog:daemon
> access_log /usr/local/sbin/rsyslog:daemon
>
> the closest I've been to accomplish this is getting a message in the
> cache_log that says parent folder not writable or something like that.
> some error of squid complaining about permissions on the folders which I
> don't understand since it can perfectly write to them if I go back to the
> default settings. Can anyone please help?

Squid does not appear to support sending directly to a remote syslog
server, you need to send it to a local syslog daemon and have that
configured to send the logs to a remote server.

what happens if you just set

access_log syslog squid

this tells squid to write to syslog (without setting a facility) and
to write using the format 'squid'

David Lang