[squid-users] Squid NTLM Authentication and Windows Update Server (WSUS 3.0)

From: John Treen <john_at_canningcollege.wa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 11:01:03 +0800

Hi Everyone,

I am having trouble getting WSUS 3.0 to communicate through Squid when
using NTLM authentication. Back in early 2009 I did some testing and
determined that 2.6.STABLE5 appears to be the last version that WSUS
would successfully communicate through the proxy using NTLM.

Yesterday I tried Squid 3.1.10 and WSUS still returns a 407 Proxy
Authentication Required. If I uninstall 3.1.10 and then install
2.6.STABLE5 using the same configuration on my test machine WSUS works.

If I comment out the auth_param ntlm lines (just leaving basic
authentication enabled) WSUS works with 3.1.10, so I believe it could be
something going wrong in the NTLM handshake.

What is the best way to start debugging what the problem could be?

Software versions from our working configuration:
Samba - 3.5.1
Winbind - 3.5.1
Squid - 2.6-STABLE5

Authentication settings in squid.conf:
auth_param ntlm program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-ntlmssp
auth_param ntlm children 5
auth_param basic program /usr/bin/ntlm_auth
--helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
auth_param basic realm Test Proxy Server
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

Regards,
John Treen