[squid-users] Squid proxy server - Client certificate (reverse proxy)

From: Qvalpro Solutions <orplavq_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:18:26 +0530

Hi Folks,

I just started exploring Squid proxy and I am clueless of how to use
Squid in my setup.

Some background on why I am trying to use the Squid proxy:
I have a billing application installed in a windows server. This
particular billing application uses some proprietary file system,
which cannot be customized. I have purchased a Payway API account
(Payway API is nothing but a payment processing system for credit
cards) for using with the billing application. I just noticed that the
Payway API needs a digital certificate to be installed for processing
the payments. Unfortunately, my billing application doesn't allow any
certificate installation. When I spoke to the billing application
development company and Payway, they suggested me to use the Squid
proxy to workaround the problem. I was also told that the Squid proxy
can provide the client certificate.

As I don't have adequate exposure to setting up proxy servers, I have
the following questions:
1. Can I install the Squid proxy in the same server where my billing
application is located?
2. How do I connect the billing application to the Squid Proxy? Do I
need to use some port for this and how am I supposed to connect the
Squid Proxy to the Payway API?
3. How do I install the digital certificate provided by Payway in the
Squid proxy and what format of digital certificate is to be used -
.net or PHP or ASP or something else?
4. How should I configure the Squid proxy or will the default
configuration work?
5. Do I need to setup any other process to get the transactions functional?
6. Is there a working example or documentation that I can refer to?

Please help me.

Thanks,
KB.