[squid-users] Poor mans static CDN

From: <beachie_at_tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:36:19 +0100 (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Is there any way to configure the following scenario? I run a
wordpress blog and wish to offload the static content to squid by re-
writing the hostnames in the templates. We have plenty of bandwidth on
tap but the apache resources on our VM appear to be pointlessly tied up
when busy serving the larger static content (images, crazy js/css) to
slow clients.

So, If the blog runs on blog.tld and is also the origin server I'd
like to serve the static content from cache.blog.tld and have it pull
the content from the origin blog.tld site.

This is what I have setup so far:

http_port external-IP2:80 vhost defaultsite=cache.blog.tld vhost
cache_peer blog.tld parent 80 0 no-query originserver login=PASS

What appears to be happening is that the Host: header in the request
to the origin is "cache.blog.tld" rather than blog.tld.

Since I may have to do this for a lot of sites I don't really want to
fix this with apache's serveralias workaround as I intend to use a
wordpress filter plugin to re-write the static objects to use the cache
on the busy sites.

TIA!
B.