Re: [squid-users] refresh_pattern to (nearly) never delete cached files in a http accelerator scenario?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:53:17 +1300

Jamie Plenderleith wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Squid as a HTTP Accelerator/reverse proxy. It is being used to
> cache the contents of a site that is being served up from a 1Mbps internet
> connection, but the proxy itself is hosted in Rackspace in the US.
> Users visit the squid server, and if the item isn't there then it's
> retrieved from our offices over the 1Mbps upstream.
> I started running wget on another machine on the web to cache the contents
> of the site, and the cache on the proxy was growing and growing - but only
> to a certain point and then seemed to stop at about 170,000 files.

The earlier reply has the info you are seeking. I'm commenting here
because I notice your accelerator config appears to be broken.

The config you show below assumes that all your public pages are
accessed by raw-IP address somehow through a machine thats not at that
IP. This is not a good setup.

> Below is the configuration that we've been using:
>
> http_port 80 accel defaultsite=[our office's static IP]

Use: ... defaultsite=[PUBLIC DOMAIN NAME]

> cache_peer [our office's static IP] parent 80 0 no-query originserver
> name=myAccel
> cache_dir ufs c:/squid/var/cache 20000 16 256
> acl our_sites dstdomain [our office's static IP]

Use: acl our_sites dstdomain [PUBLIC DOMAIN NAME(s)]

> acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> http_access allow our_sites
> cache_peer_access myAccel allow our_sites
> cache_peer_access myAccel deny all
> visible_hostname [hostname of proxy server]
> cache_mem 1 GB
> maximum_object_size 20000 KB
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 1000 KB

Amos