Re: [squid-users] NTLM Authenticator with big requests number

From: Robert Collins <robertc_at_robertcollins.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:09:21 +1100

On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 23:43 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> > Not exactly, I'm the author of all the Windows NTLM and Negotiate native
> > helpers.
> > The majority of the Squid NTLM code comes from Kinkie, Robert and Henrik.
>
> Ah, thats not the impression I got after reading the FAQ entry.
> Apologies to all involved with that code.

If it helps the major history that I recall for NTLM is:
 - There was a broken branch, I don't recall the original author, Pat
someone perhaps.
 - Using it as inspiration Kinkie and I overhauled the squid internals
and went beyond the fake helper that had been created to get a actual
SMB implementation running; this failed miserably in production where
Kinkie worked though...
 - Andrew Bartlett chimed in around this point with the samba winbindd
helper which solved the reliability problems the SMB approach had by
allowing the local machine to generate challenges.
 - Guido wrote native helpers for windows (analogous to the winbindd
helper on unix machines)

-Rob