Re: [squid-users] Squid config / transparent proxy questions

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 00:49:37 +1300

Kishore Venkat wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the following 2 questions:
>
> 1. I have setup Squid 3.0 STABLE 9 without https / transparent proxy
> options (i.e., configure WITHOUT "--with-openssl=/usr/local/openssl",
> "--enable-ssl" and "--enable-????-transparent" options) and it appears
> to work fine using the squidclient. But after I rerun configure with
> the "--with-openssl=/usr/local/openssl" and "--enable-ssl" options,
> "squid -k parse squid.conf" gives me the following errors:
>
> 2008/12/26 06:42:07| Processing Configuration File:
> /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf (depth 0)
> 2008/12/26 06:42:07| aclParseAccessLine: ACL name 'manager' not found.
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 629: http_access allow manager localhost
> Squid Cache (Version 3.0.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.
>
> I would like to be able to get past the above mentioned errors before
> I modify the config file further. The squid.conf is the one that
> "make install" generated - the only line I added was for the
> visible_hostname to set to the name of the machine where I have squid
> installed. As the squid.conf is pretty large, I have pasted the
> relevant lines below --
>
> acl manager proto cache_object
> acl localhost src 127.0.0.1/32
> acl to_localhost dst 127.0.0.0/8
>
> acl localnet src 10.0.0.0/8 # RFC1918 possible internal network
> acl localnet src 172.16.0.0/12 # RFC1918 possible internal network
> acl localnet src 192.168.0.0/16 # RFC1918 possible internal network
>
> acl SSL_ports port 443
> acl Safe_ports port 80 # http
> acl Safe_ports port 21 # ftp
> acl Safe_ports port 443 # https
> acl Safe_ports port 70 # gopher
> acl Safe_ports port 210 # wais
> acl Safe_ports port 1025-65535 # unregistered ports
> acl Safe_ports port 280 # http-mgmt
> acl Safe_ports port 488 # gss-http
> acl Safe_ports port 591 # filemaker
> acl Safe_ports port 777 # multiling http
> acl CONNECT method CONNECT
>
> http_access allow manager localhost
> http_access deny manager
> # Deny requests to unknown ports
> http_access deny !Safe_ports
> # Deny CONNECT to other than SSL ports
> http_access deny CONNECT !SSL_ports
>
> http_access allow localnet
>
> If I comment out the following lines (just to see what happens):
>
> #http_access allow manager localhost
> #http_access deny manager
>
> then it gives me the error:
>
> 2008/12/26 06:52:49| Processing Configuration File:
> /usr/local/squid/etc/squid.conf (depth 0)
> 2008/12/26 06:52:49| aclParseAccessLine: ACL name 'Safe_ports' not found.
> FATAL: Bungled squid.conf line 632: http_access deny !Safe_ports
> Squid Cache (Version 3.0.STABLE9): Terminated abnormally.
>
> Could someone please tell what I could be doing wrong here. If you
> need the entire squid.conf file (or other relevant entries within the
> squid.conf file), please let me know.

Looks like the line definition order was wrong in the config file.
The lines need to be ordered in the way you posted them here.

It's highly strange to have that occur in the default file. Maybe a
build error.

> 2. Where I work, we have an equipment from F5 for load balancing and
> certificate management - so I guess it will decrypt the https request
> and send it off to the Squid server (after the F5 rules are in place).
> In this scenario, do we even need to worry about setting up Squid
> with https or transparent proxying enabled (as I understand it, https
> will not work with transparent proxying), but in our scenario, I guess
> the F5 rules will take care of transparent proxying and since the F5
> will decrypt and send the request to the Squid server, I suppose I
> don't need to worry about https either. Am I correct in saying that
> if we have Squid setup to work with http requests alone without
> transparent proxy, it will able to handle https requests as well,
> given our setup?

Squid will handle multiple modes of input just fine by default. Just
have one http_port configured for intercept ('transparent') and one without.

> If I need transparent proxy with http, do I would
> have to run configure with one of the following options (i.e., it is
> not enabled by default, yeah?):
>
> --enable-ipfw-transparent
> --enable-ipf-transparent
> --enable-pf-transparent
> --enable-linux-netfilter
> --enable-linux-tproxy

Yes, but only the one relevant to the machine OS doing the NAT intercept.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Current Beta Squid 3.1.0.3