[squid-users] Cannot get squid 2.6 in reverse-proxy to "not send cache when peer is dead"

From: <samk_at_twinix.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 16:37:03 -0500 (CDT)

See Thread at: http://www.techienuggets.com/Detail?tx=56772 Posted on behalf of a User

All,

I really need help here, and this has got to be a real simple problem, just not easy to lay out for you all.

I am using Squid 2.6 as a reverse proxy for our webservers.
Our webservers get rebooted every night, and during that downtime, we send users to a "sorry server".
We are using a Cisco CSS device to route the traffic to the sorry server, when it detects that the webservers are down.

The problem I am having is that when the webservers go down, the Squid server is delivering content from it's cache instead of a 404.
This is causing half-loaded webpages instead of the SORRY SERVER page.

cache_peer 12.xxx.xxx.xxx parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=foo
acl sites_foo dstdomain www1.foobar.com www.foobar.com
cache_peer_access foo allow sites_foo
cache_peer_access foo deny all

acl foo_networks src 12.xxx.xxx.xxx/27
http_access allow foo_networks

http_port 12.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 accel defaultsite=www1.foobar.com