Re: [squid-users] Video players not proxy aware

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson_at_gci.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:45:22 -0800

Steven Engebretson wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I am having an issue with squid 2.6 stable 19.
>
> Many video players on the Mac are not proxy aware, and fail to show a login screen for the new video window. Is there a simple way to resolve this from squid, rather then putting an an acl in for each domain, with an allow? We do require all users to
> authenticate prior to access.
>

> -Steven E.

A number of applications on OSX do not natively work behind an
authenticating proxy (iCal, Backup, iDisk and the System Updater as far
as I recall). The only ways to work around this is with "http_access
allow" on Squid before authentication is required, or a installed
application on the client such as Authoxy
(http://www.hrsoftworks.net/Products.php) or Squid Man
(http://homepage.mac.com/adg/SquidMan/index.html).

Yelling at Apple to fix this oversight might be a good track to take in
parallel.

Chris