RE: [squid-users] Squid in the Enterpise

From: Adam Carter <Adam.Carter_at_optus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:04:53 +1000

> I am running into the standard "Open Source" fear at my local
> site.

Ask the fearmongers if they've ever heard of a little piece of software called BIND, or maybe Apache... Also, you should probably get pricing on commercial squid support, to let management know that it can be had and how much it costs.

> Can anyone name some major companies that use Squid. We
> are talking enterprise or ISP here. We currently have about
> 100,000 users with heavy streaming video use. Some of the
> management are afraid Squid will not be able to handle the load.
> Our planned deployment box is a 8-way, 16GB ram, 1TB (6 disks
> I think) server which will be running RedHat Enterprise Linux.

If you do anything important with web at your business then a single box will not be able to meet basic reliablilty requirements. So you have to run multiple boxes for reliability, and you can scale horizontally for performance. Ie just add enough boxes to meet your service level requirement. There's a numner of ways to load balance, WCCP, proxy.pac, Layer7 switch etc.