Re: [Fwd: Re: [squid-users] Recommended cache_dir config for large system]

From: Richard Hubbell <richard_hubbe11_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 7/16/08, Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com> wrote:

> From: Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [squid-users] Recommended cache_dir config for large system]
> To: richard_hubbe11_at_yahoo.com
> Cc: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 6:55 PM
> Richard Hubbell wrote:
> >
> > --- On Wed, 7/16/08, Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
> wrote:
> >

> >> From: Rhino <rhino_at_machlink.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [squid-users] Recommended
> cache_dir config for large system]
> >> To: richard_hubbe11_at_yahoo.com
> >> Cc: squid-users_at_squid-cache.org
> >> Date: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 2:53 PM

> Henrik.
> configured
> >>>>
> >> for

> >> ip_local_port_range.

> partition,
> >>>>
> >> i.e.

> each as
> >>>>
> >> cache_dir?

> disks)
> has to be
> >>>>
> >> used for

> Squid.

> it's
> >>>
> >> supported any longer.
> >>

> >> size/speed considerations when we set the system
> up
> >> originally. It's
> >> worked well so far.
> >> cheers
> >>

> > Okay, do you mean better performance with larger
> number of files?
> > I'm using ext3 that's why I'm asking.
> >

> we went with the reiserfs out of googling the choices and
> most impressed
> with what we found on it as opposed to ext3.
> we're also using sata drives, if that helps; just hoped
> for the best
> combination once the server was in production.
> I'm not suggesting this is in fact the optimum
> combination - I'm no
> linux or filesystem expert by any means.
> Just trying to keep our customers happy and my paycheck
> coming :)
> -Ryan

Yep, no problem. We're using ext3 on redhat since that's what's supported. Always good to hear/learn from others' experience.

We've seen some issues with processes spending a litte too much time in "D" state (as reported by ps) a.k.a. uninteruptible sleep. Not clear what is causing that yet. Seems like a deadlock somewhere. Not in squid. We saw it in apache and others.