[squid-users] H/W requirement for Squid to run in bigger scene like ISP

From: bijayant kumar <bijayant4u_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 02:25:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hello to list,

I am using squid 3.0.STABLE7. Can i use squid for caching server in a ISP like environment. If yes, then what should be the H/W configuration? I have gone through to various articles found in google.

In my observations since Squid is a single threaded(not a multithread) s/w, so there is no need to use dual/quad core processor, and RAM is also not very important factor because somewhere i read, "10MB RAM for every 1 GB of cache space on disk". So RAM is also ok. I will use 4-8 GB RAM and it should be fine. I think i am going/thinking into right direction. Please suggest me, what should be the H/W requirement for the server where you can expect 1200-1500 concurrent connection to the squid at a time.

Thanks & Regards,
Bijayant Kumar Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com