Re: [squid-users] DNS and HEAD questions...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 17:40:55 +0200

On ons, 2008-07-09 at 07:14 -0700, John Doe wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Finaly found why my siblings were not talking (without any error messages)...
> There was a 'dns_defnames on' in my confs (cannot remember why I added it)...
> But without it, it works again.
>
> DNS question:
> I compiled squid with '--disable-internal-dns', but I still get:
> 2008/07/09 14:17:33| helperOpenServers: Starting 5 'dnsserver' processes

But that's exactly what you asked for.

> I don't want any dns resolution (reverse proxy = always same server, and will resolve clients IP from logs later).
> I already have 'log_fqdn off'.
> What do I miss to prevent all dns things?

As you dit, plus nsswitch settings to only use files, not dns.

> HEAD question:
> How can I prevent squid from transfering a HEAD request from a client?

Why?

> Basicaly, I want squid to cache the object "forever".

so play with refresh_pattern.

> If the object changes on the server, it will be "manualy" purged from the cache.
> So, squid should only contact the server if the object is not cached yet.

Ok.

> Any GET or HEAD request (even with no-cache, etc in the headers) from the client should only involve squid.
> I already tried:
> header_access Cache-Control deny all
> header_replace Cache-Control max-age=864000
> refresh_pattern . 525600 100% 525600 override-expire override-lastmod ignore-reload ignore-no-cache
> But it is not enough... any idea?

refresh_pattern is the key to do what you ask. header_... is only for
how it will look when Suqid forwards a request/response, not how Squid
parses it himself...

Regards
Henrik