[squid-users] statistics!

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian_at_creative.net.au>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 22:44:14 +0800

Hi everyone,

I'd like to gather some information from your running proxies!
There's two reasons - firstly, to provide some data for my upcoming talk
at BSDCan in a couple weeks time [1] and also to fuel some further developments
I have planned after June.

A few bits of information are needed!

* What your proxy is doing! Is it a forward proxy? Reverse proxy?
* Where in the internet are you? Are your clients on satellite? are you on a
  satellite uplink?
* Output of cachemgr mgr:io (server-side io histograms) and
  mgr:histograms (general service time histograms)
  (Note - aren't there client-side io histograms?)
* Passing access.log (over a few days, if you have the logs!) through a perl
  script to generate some transfer size histograms:

  http://www.creative.net.au/diffs/stats-size.pl

If you could wrap all of this up and email them to me privately (please don't
spam the list!) then I'll summarise the results in a few weeks and you can
be happy in the knowledge that you've helped us understand what your Squid's
are doing!

Thanks!

Adrian

[1] - http://www.bsdcan.org/2008/schedule/events/72.en.html