Re: [squid-users] resolve gcc prob in source code based squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:41:52 +1200

Javed wrote:
> Hello,
> i get the following error after i tried to ./configure squid-2.5.STABLE14-20060721 (after unzipping it).

First that is an obsolete version of squid.
Visit: http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/ and grab the 2.6 release at
least.

> checking for a BSD compatible install...
>
> /usr/bin/install -c

> checking for mawk... no
>

> checking for gawk... gawk
>

> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
>

> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific
>

> portions of Makefiles... no
>

> checking for gcc... no
>

> checking for cc... no
>

> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>
> Then i did the following (saw it in some forum):
> # CC=gcc
> # export CC

gcc should be setting that in the OS bash scripts on install.

> now i get the following error after i do ./configure
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
> checking for mawk... no
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
> checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... no
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g) works... no
> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
>
> Can some one plz. tell me what's the problem???

Your 'C Compiler' (CC) doesn't work/exist? Or maybe it just isn't
installed properly.

1) Remove your hack.
2) See if the newer squid finds it better.
3) does "echo $PATH" give you any hints about the problem?
4) check you can run gcc from the command-line (without needing anything
but "gcc")
5) Try re-installing gcc.

Amos