Re: [squid-users] IE6 ignoring cache-control due to HTTP/1.0 header?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:21:38 +0200

On fre, 2007-08-24 at 02:15 -0700, ToddWilliams wrote:

> A subsequent request seems to come from IE6's local cache -- it ignored the
> directives.

Odd.

> Is IE6 ignoring the Cache-Control line because it sees the HTTP/1.0 ?
> I guess it is ignoring Pragma, because it's not HTTPS, but what about my
> Expires: -1 line?

"Expires: -1" is not valid, but specs (even HTTP/1.0) says clients
should regard that as uncacheable..

Regarding "Pragma: no-cache". It's only defined as a request header, not
a response header. Use of http/https should not matter as both is http.

> Microsoft KB article 234067 says "HTTP 1.0 servers cannot use the
> Cache-Control header." and "Cache-Control headers are invalid in HTTP 1.0
> prevents caching only when used over a secure connection"

The first part is bullshit. HTTP/1.0 servers is free to use any features
from HTTP/1.1 they like, except for transfer encoding.

Also clients SHOULD ignore the HTTP version when parsing responses, with
only a few explicit exceptions related to the Connection header.

Regards
Henrik