Re: [squid-users] Opinions sought on best storage type for FreeBSD

From: Michel Santos <michel@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:07:44 -0300 (BRT)

Tek Bahadur Limbu disse na ultima mensagem:

>> what size is your link?
>
> For each proxy, the link is burstable upto to 15 mbps. But they are
> grouped together in different groups. We have 6 groups. Each group has
> bandwidth ranging from 5 mbps to 20 mbps. However since our link comes via
> satellite, the proxies starts building a large number of mbufs especially
> when our uplink gets saturated. Since it's a satellite link, bandwidth is
> never enough no matter how big we are subscribing. We still have some time
> to go (maybe months, or years) before we get it from a fiber link.
>

>> Sure this is not related to your crash and to your link either but
>> somaxconn is the queue size of pending connections and not the number of
>> connections and you are probably setting this far too high. somaxconn as
>> 1024 or max 2048 would be more reasonable and nmbcluster I would not set
>> higher than 128 or 256k
>>
>> if you eat that up you have other troubles and increasing this values
>> does
>> not solve them I guess
>
> Well I am using nmbcluster = 256000 on some of my FreeBSD-6.2 machines
> because they don't support setting the nmbcluster to 0. Well let me try
> setting somaxconn to 2048.

I like to suggest again starting a clean system like said in a former msg
and observe and then check value for value instead of mixing it all up at
once

> - From my observation in recent months, the mbufs value has not crossed
> 120K. I will probably use 128K or 256K. I read an article regarding
> setting somaxconn=32768 to help stop SYN flooding.
>
> http://silverwraith.com/papers/freebsd-ddos.php

who am i to understand miracles? without saying any else I suggest you
compare the man page or tuning what describes somaxconn and what the
author claims it is and figure out about the other statements ...

> In your opinion, what's wrong with setting nmbcluster to 0 since, in
> this way, I never run out of mbufs?

sorry if came over a wrong impression that I want to lecture or something,
I am not saying it is wrong (how would I know?), I am only changing ideas
here ok and am saying that I would do it different and what is my opinion

michel

Datacenter Matik http://datacenter.matik.com.br
E-Mail e Data Hosting Service para Profissionais.