RE: [squid-users] can any transparent mode handle SSL and FTP for access control

From: Shaun Skillin \(home\) <shaun@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:26:41 -0700

Thanks Adrian, I understand. Could you expand at on "hacking up squid"?
I have an immediate need for access control of all web requests,
including SSL. I know that if I set it in the browser, squid handles
all connections, including web, ssl, and ftp without a problem. So my
real question is, if squid can (obviously) handle this traffic, can it
be done in a transparent way instead of having to modify the browser. I
think I need more education on how the packets are presented to squid in
transparent vs. browser-based mode - browser-based sends everything via
3128, so squid gets it on port 3128 - couldn't I just do another NAT
using iptables for this, and point 443 and 21 to 3128 as well as the
current 80?

Thanks again,
Shaun