Re: [squid-users] How to rotate logs in Squid

From: Peter Albrecht <peter.albrecht@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 08:40:38 +0200

Hi,

On Wednesday 19 July 2006 17:46, Mehmet, Levent (Accenture) wrote:
> Hi
>
> We have just installed Squid and I would like to know how rotate the
> logs files.
>
> Please can some explain on how this can be done automatically without
> admin interference.
>
> We are running Squid Suse 10.1

On SUSE Linux, you do not need to configure a cron job executing "squid -k".
Log file rotation is done automatically using logrotate. The configuration
file for the Squid logfiles is /etc/logrotate.d/squid. It contains
information when and how to rotate the following files:

* /var/log/squid/cache.log
* /var/log/squid/access.log
* /var/log/squid/store.log

By default, they are rotated depending on their size. If you have configured
any other log files (or modified the names), just include them here. A
description of the syntax is available in the man page of logrotate.
logrotate is run via a cron job daily (have a look at
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate)

Regards,

Peter

--