Re: [squid-users] Squid crash root cause

From: Chris Robertson <crobertson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 10:25:11 -0800

Mitesh P Choksi wrote:

> Dear Tim/Neil,
>
> I will look up the details and send it over to the group. The messages
> and the cache.log looks normal. The access.log is not set, i.e.
> /dev/null. I also realised that as soon as number of users are high,
> i.e. when I start redirecting (-j REDIRECT) more users to Squid, it
> starts crashing, but if I keep 2-3 IPs then it's not a problem.
>
> It does look like an OS related issue from the details from Neil,
> however, if I don't use squid i.e. no -J REDIRECT then the server
> keeps running for months, but as soon as I turn on the REDIRECT, it
> starts crashing almost every week.
>
> Maybe I keep a strace on squid and dump the data and also keep the
> vmstat 5 dumping data so that I can co-relate and come up to some
> conclusion.
>
> I wanted ideas on what to trace so that the root cause is identifieid.
> Maybe it's a hardware problem but due to the fact that it only shows
> up after I turn on squid, its is difficult to justify the need for
> different hardware.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mitesh

Squid is not hooked into the kernel. IPTables is. I would posit that
to be the source of your trouble. You stated that you are on a
satellite link, which means your are going to have a higher number of
open file descriptors. Perhaps IPTables is "running out" and causing
the kernel to hang (complete conjecture).

For what it's worth, I have a number of sites on satellite links, but I
don't use interception.

Chris