Re: [squid-users] bandwidth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 15:58:52 +0200

tis 2006-05-02 klockan 15:16 +0200 skrev Di Giambelardini Gabriele:
> Hi to all,
> this is my first email here...
> I have a problem..... some time mine internet line it'w really slow...
> I'd like know which of my client use all the internet line.
> I tried sarg, but no work well for my case..
> somebody know some software that in real time, show me, who use all the line?
> bandwidth

ntop <http://www.ntop.org> is a quite cool tool to get a quick view of
network traffic of any kind. Not strictly Squid related (operates at
packet level).

It's also possible to query Squid using snmp and/or cachemgr, but it's
unfortunately not an easy task.

Real time statistics from access.log can also provide valuable insight,
but the problem with this is that it doesn't show currently running
requests, only past history. But there is a patch somewhere which adds
accounting of ongoing requests to access.log.

So I would suggest you start with ntop. If that isn't sufficient to
identify the problem then move on to more Squid specific solutions.

Regards
Henrik