Re: [squid-users] Bad TCP Checksums/Slow HTTPS connections

From: Sketch <sketchster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 01:48:03 -0400

On 5/1/06, Henrik Nordstrom <henrik@henriknordstrom.net> wrote:
> mån 2006-05-01 klockan 15:00 -0400 skrev Sketch:
> > Hey Folks,
> >
> > I'm currently encountering issues with tcp checksums on squid requests
> > and responses.
>
> TCP/IP checksum errors is either bad hardware or a bad OS/driver issue.
> These are completely outside Squid.
>
> Could also be some malfunctioning neighboring equipment such as a
> router/switch etc corrupting the packets.

Unfortunately I think it may be a little deeper. I've eliminated
hardware issues by testing this on 5 different machines, with 2
different backends. All of this gear is on different network
hardware, in different locations.

Running tcpdump on the hosts that squid is running on shows the bad
checksum on outgoing squid packets. This means that the problem is
not a network switch/hardware, as the packet is built in kernel space,
and then determined to be bad before it ever hits the network
interface.

I've upgraded the kernel to the latest and greatest from kernel.org,
the issue persists. Running squid2.5-13, custom log patch, on Linux.

Any other ideas?