[squid-users] Slow Downloads from Windows Update

From: Jon Banks <jjbanks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:24:32 -0500

I created the solution to make Squid work with Windows Update as suggested by Brian E. Conklin on Sept. 9, 2005. I can get to Windows Update, but it takes forever (or 10+ minutes) just for windows update to tell me what files I need to download. Then, it make take 5+ minutes per file download. The downloads as slow and they tend to pause for 2-5 minutes in between each file.

We had the same problem with downloading Windows Updates and the very slow speeds when we use to use Novell BorderManager, too, so it seems to be an issue with Windows Update and proxy servers. Does anyone have a solution as to how to make these downloads faster or at least a reason that I can tell my boss? Thnaks.

Jon Banks