Re: [squid-users] New Squid Installation

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:19:44 +0200

On Thursday 20 October 2005 19:18, Finnur Örn Guðmundsson - TM Software
Skyggnir wrote:
> I just got a new HP DL380 server in my hands. I need to replace a older
> HP DL360 server that runs squid for about 2500-3000 clients.
>
> This box will have raid1 for system and then 4 extra disks for cacheing
> (standalone, not raid).
>
> It also has 2 processors (3.4Ghz Xeon / Hyperthreading) and 4Gb of
> memory.
>
> I was wondering ...Should i have hyperthreading enabled or not? I've
> been reading along somewhere that some people say that hyperthreading
> does not work very good with squid ...any hints about this ;)?

I wouldn't see why it shouldn't work with HT. We had DL360 running our
proxy cluster on (until we were fed up because every now and then the power
unit's fans b0rked) without trouble. Currently we are running on DL580 with
Dual-Xeon and enabled HT.

It will probably not help you much since one process (squid) will not be
able to run on more than one CPU. So unless you have more than process
running on that server one CPU is enough. In our case we run power-hungry
content filters on that box, too. So it helps us.

Kind Regards
 Christoph

--
~