Re: [squid-users] parent question

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:58:10 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Hendrik Voigtländer wrote:
>
>> If the parents die (host or squid crash, network failures) fallback
>> ist provided with direct access via a third line. Parents are marked
>> down.
>

> How is this done?

3th line is reachable by backends via default-gw

always_direct allow direct_by_dst_ip
always_direct allow local-networks
always_direct deny all
nonhierarchical_direct off

cache_peer rhone.foo.bar parent 8080 0 no-query no-delay
no-digest default
cache_peer seine.foo.bar parent 8080 0 no-query no-delay
no-digest

> Should be more or less the same when the parents fails to resolve..

But in this case the child should fetch direct instead of displaying the
error page?

>> What can I do to provide fallback in this case? Shutting squid down
>> with ip-down script seems not very bulletproof as this handles
>> linefailures only but not a crashing pppd.
>

> You could add some link monitoring, shutting down the Squids when the
> link is deemed unuseable.

Seems to be the only way. Probing the local bind sounds easy enough.

Any opinion about establishing sibling relationship between the backends?

Thanks, Hendrik