[squid-users] parent question

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 22:39:16 +0200

Hello list,

I have the a problem with my setup:

Two non-transparent caching backend proxies serving users with failover
using proxy.pac
Both backend are forwarding all traffic to dedicated non-caching squid
parents each.
Each parent is hooked to an ADSL-Line.
If the parents die (host or squid crash, network failures) fallback ist
provided with direct access via a third line. Parents are marked down.

But if the ADSL line are dead or pppd/pppoe shutdown, the parent squids
fail to resolve or to fetch the object (I am using local bind named on
every squid machine). The childs are not trying to fetch the request
direct but will display the error pages from the parents.

What can I do to provide fallback in this case? Shutting squid down with
ip-down script seems not very bulletproof as this handles linefailures
only but not a crashing pppd.

No icp at all is involved - parents are defined as default. Btw: I
wonder if it is worth to establish a sibling relationship between both
child proxies to improve caching ratios.

Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Hendrik Voigtländer