[squid-users] Squid, virtual IP and Layer 7 switching...any idea?

From: Marco Crucianelli <m.crucianelli@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:25:46 +0100

As I wrote in another post, I was considering of using two squid on two different machines, one for normal web stuff (small files) and another one for very big files (huge video). I was thinking to use a layer 7 switch in front of them, thus I could make clients use both of them in a transparent way! Reading something about a software layer 7 switching (Linux Virtual Server) I know that these three machine I would use (one layer 7 switching and 2 squid) should share the same virtual IP address. Now, this shouldn't be bad, as I could write in the squid.conf

http_port virtual_ip_address

thus both squid could use the same virtual IP address.

Here comes the funny part...well...I do even need that these two squid could use two different squid_parent via ICP. Going this way, I do need that the squid having the layer 7 switch in front could even use their real IP address to communicate with their own squid_parent. Could I use something like this in squid.conf to make everything work?

udp_incoming_address real_ip_address
udp_outgoing_address 255.255.255.255

I've made this small schema to make you understand better how I would like to connect everything!

TIA

Marco

 _____________ _____________
|parent_squid1| |parent_squid2|