Re: [squid-users] multiple connections with failover

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:04:18 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Daniel Fenert wrote:
>
>> I have two (for now) internet connections, one is exclusively for www
>> usage,
>> and the other for everything else.
>> The problem is that 'www connection' hangs from time to time (usually
>> once a
>> week). I would like to setup squid for failover operation (when one
>> connection
>> dies, it should switch to other).
>>
>> What is the best way to solve this problem?
>

> Generally I would advice to solve it by routing. Monitor the link and
> when it goes down change the default gateway of the Squid proxy to the
> other, and when available again change it back.
>
> Combine this with source routing to not crash existing connections when
> switching (some ISPs does not like seeing source addresses of another
> ISP from their customers..)
>
> Regards
> Henrik

We have a similar setup, an cheap 5MBit-ADSL line for www and a "decent"
line for everything else.

The ADSL-line is connected to a diskless memorycache-only squid box with
a pppoe on the same (small) machine.

The user connect to another squid box. This machine is much bigger and
uses a disk cache and is connected via the "everything else" line to the
net.

The ADSL-squid is the default-parent for the squid the users connect to.
Nearly all requests are forced over the parent but if the ADSL-squid
fails all requests are fetched direct using the other line. Delay-pools
are used to prevent overloading the remaining line.

No need to monitor a link, squid is switching over just fine on its own.
I think that chaining the proxies may add some latency, but we manage
roughly 10GB a day with that setup.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer