Re: [squid-users] flat file parsing vs db filter rules parsing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:20:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Muthukumar wrote:

> So look up time to get the type of ACL is same.

No, the lookup time to determine if the request is matched by the acl is
the same.

> But the Regex pattern's and information strings related to acl filters
> parsing time is the difference factor.

The regex acls are always linear to the number of entries in the acl.

The other acls perform much better.

This is true for both Squid and Squidguard, regardless if flat files of DB
files are used for defining the acl.

> So squid is doing filters parsing with FLAT files. Is squid developement
> team having an idea to deploy DB based FILTER pattern parsing &
> Recognition rules as like squidGuard?

Not at this time, but patches implementing such feature may be accepted.

> We are on the analysis, to deploy DB based filter parsing with SQUID. Is
> it good and efficient based on parsing time performance.?

Is configuration parsing a problem for you? How often do you restart the
service?

> Does any one had analysed DB filter parsing comparision with FLAT File
> parsing?

flat file parsing requires a somewhat longer startup time.

DB pre-parsed configurations has a very quick startup time but MAY have a
slight penalty on lookup compared to the flat file due to the overhead of
the DB file lookup. In most cases the lookup time is fully compareable to
the in-memory lookup of a flat file configuration.

Regards
Henrik