Re: [squid-users] optimization suggestions?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 13:41:54 +0200

On 30.09 09:08, Victor Medina wrote:
> I have a SQUID server running on a Piii 1100ghz server with 1024 RAM,
> SCSI disks. We have almost 100 users. And a 700Kbps ADSL Connection. The
> cache directory is in it's own scsi drive.
>
> I am seeing some very slow response in the proxy server. The incoming
> traffic in the internet connection is almost exactly the same as the
> outgoing traffic in the internal network, which basically means that the
> traffic from the internal proxy client is the same as the downloaded
> stuff. (am i right?) I have "System Health" graphics from both
> interfaces, I can send them to private mails if you want to take a look.
> DNS is being handled by a BIND server on the same machine.

> Most of the sites, that users can access are specified by acl's so they
> are very predictable, most users have _only_ access to certain sites.
> Even though there are a awful lot of users for a 700Kbps link, the site
> are almost always the same. The cache dir is 7gb in size. SQUID has
> plenty of RAM. File system being used is RAISER, and it's a linux
> machine running kernel 2.6 under SuSE 9.1.
>
> Anybody would be so kind and suggest any optimization that could somehow
> improve performance? I will copy the relevant information about my
> squid.conf.

what I'd advise you
- using LFUDA cache_replacement_policy (memory replacement policy may
  stay GSDF)
- using bigger cache (if your 700 kbps link is loaded with HTTP requests,
  your users are probably downloading more than 7GB per week)
- play with maximum_object_size and

another question is, if squid eats a lot of CPU and memory - unless it's
badly configured, it should not.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.