Re: [squid-users] Squid as a gateway

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:37:32 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Tarek Elemam wrote:

> I have Installed Squid On Red hat in the past year and recently I have made
> it authenticate with the MAC address of the machines it worked when the
> server is setup by the terminal as a proxy server in the browsers. However,
> whenever a machine uses the Squid as its gateway internet access is grated
> without any authentication

Firewalling, to deny the clients direct access to what they should have
been using the proxy to access.

RedHat and any other Linux based distribution have very good firewalling
support within the OS.

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -j REJECT

or if you want to be smart

iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT 8080

and configure an Apache on port 8080 to return a small message telling the
client it must configure their browser to use the proxy, with guidelines
on how to do so.

Regards
Henrik