Re: [squid-users] Re: Re: Squid-Newbie question

From: Mohsin Khan <aaghaz00@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:56:41 -0700 (PDT)

This should be very simple, when your cable modem is
off and your system is on, there is no Internet
connectivity so no page should be displayed, and when
you turn on your cable modem, may be you need to
restart the dns not the squid.

So first start your cable modem, and than you start
your system. It should not be of problem
--- Tim Bernhardson <TBERNHAR@SunMaid.com> wrote:

> Basic network question - is the Cable modem
> providing the IP Address via
> DHCP?
>
> If so what may be happening is that when the Cable
> modem is turned off,
> squid is starting up without an IP Address..
>

> Tim Bernhardson
> Senior Technical Engineer
> Certified Citrix Metaframe Administrator
> Certified CyberGuard Administrator
> Certified AIX 4.3 System Administrator
> Sun-Maid Growers of California
> 7273 Murray Drive, Ste 18
> Stockton, CA 95210
>
> tbernhar at sunmaid dot com

> PM >>>
> Steve King wrote:
> > On Wednesday 08 September 2004 02:20, Adam Aube
> wrote:

> modem being turned
> on.
> couple of seconds,
> and
> message that the site I
> am
>
> >> You should be able to just refresh the page once
> the cable modem
> finishes
> >> initializing. If not, try adjusting your
> dns_negative_ttl to a
> lower
> >> value.
>
> > Thanks for the info, Adam. It didn't do the trick,
> sadly.
>
> > I have done some experiments:
> > - If I turn the modem off after I have booted up,
> then eventually
> the
> > browser says that the site cannot be found. This
> does not seem to be
> > squid msg. - If I then turn the modem on and wait
> a few moments
> before
> > clicking refresh, then sure enough the site comes
> up, as you'd
> expect.
>
> > But if the modem is turned off when the machine is
> booting, then
> turning
> > the modem on does not help. I have to restart
> squid.
>
> Have you tried editing your init.d script to run
> Squid with the -D
> option
> (disables DNS checks)? Also, are there any error
> messages in
> cache.log?
>
> Adam

=====
Regards,
Mohsin Khan
CCNA ( Cisco Certified Network Associate 2.0 )
http://forum.aaghaz.net