Re: [squid-users] Problem with address resolution

From: Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-Marcio.Martins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:09:39 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Jose Marcio Martins da Cruz wrote:
>
>> ipcacheCycleAddr: cg.ensmp.fr now at 193.48.180.196
>>
>> But this isn't the IP address of cg.ensmp.fr, and it never was, and
>> there is nothing at this address.
>

> Chech your /etc/hosts

martins@proxy:~> grep \ cg\ /etc/hosts
193.48.171.100 cg abctem www.abctem www.cg nslserver
martins@proxy:~> grep 193.48.180.196 /etc/hosts
193.48.180.196 fwcg180
martins@proxy:~>

> alsi dig your nameservers...
>
> dig cg.ensmp.fr @nameserver1
> dig cg.ensmp.fr @nameserver2

That's correct on all servers : only one declaration and the good one.

>> Another point is that I have enabled the option :
>>
>> append_domain .ensmp.fr
>>
>> to be able to get into the webservers when I type only the hostname
>> without domain part.
>>
>> If I comment out this option, everything works fine.
>

> The more the reason to look for /etc/hosts I think.. Maybe there is
> more than one definition of "cg".

No. Scripts generating DNS and hosts file check for duplicated
definitions. And there aren't. I also tried removing declarations of cg
at hosts file - to force cg.ensmp.fr resolution only by DNS - the result
is the same.

If I try, on the shell, to get into these servers (telnet cg.ensmp.fr
80) - I get connected without problem.

If I try the URL http://cg/, it works !

I also disabled nscd...

I found three different internal destinations with the same problem
(cg.ensmp.fr, cmm.ensmp.fr and cig.ensmp.fr).

On my workstation, I have no problem

I also asked for a friend of mine on a external domain to try to access
these servers, passing through a squid cache. It works fine.

Could it have some problem with internal resolver calls in this specific
situation : append_domain configured and accessing internal servers ?

> Regards
> Henrik

  Jose Marcio MARTINS DA CRUZ           Tel. :(33) 01.40.51.93.41
  Ecole des Mines de Paris              http://j-chkmail.ensmp.fr
  60, bd Saint Michel                http://www.ensmp.fr/~martins
  75272 - PARIS CEDEX 06      mailto:Jose-Marcio.Martins@ensmp.fr