[squid-users] Is it possible to add cookies to requests going thru Squid?

From: Hannes Schmidt <mail@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 14:32:01 +0200

I would like my Squid proxy to add a cookie header to all requests going to
one particular site. Can I do that easily?

Background: My website uses a logfile statistics package. However, the
people in my department access this website frequently, e.g. to use the CMS.
I do not want the stats to be skewed by these 'internal' traffic, I'm only
interested in hits by real customers.

I configured the stats package to ignore requests that have one particular
cookie set. If I set this cookie on a computer, its requests will not skew
the statistics anymore. The only drawback of this approach is that I have to
walk to every computer in the department, open the browser and enter the URL
of the PHP that sets the cookie. Furthermore, our users frequently delete
all cookies because they think a cookie is some kind of evil.

I thought I could make this less tedious by having Squid set the cookie. All
users in the department have to go thru our Squid proxy when accessing the
web.

I can't use IP or domain based filtering because we have dynamic IP. If
Squid can't set a cookie, is there any other way of having Squid mark all
requests to one particular site?

-- Hannes