Re: [squid-users] squid -2.5 stable5 automatic boot

From: Peter Albrecht <pa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:24:07 +0200

Hi Chris,

> My first install of squid was with yast on SUSE. That came with a start,
> reload, and stop scripts. The Suse version didn't have everything enabled I
> needed, so I compiled what I needed, and lost the scripts. Webmin also has
> start, restart, and stop scripts. I haven't had time to track down either of
> the set of scripts, and right now I'm running squid with "squid -N -d1" so
> it's easy enough to ctrl-C to stop it, but we are still in the testing/setup
> stage for our installation of squid. Depending how lazy/busy things are, I'd
> either find and use the script to restart squid if there was a conf change,
> use webmin to reload it, or just kill squid and restart it.

in SUSE there's only one script: /etc/init.d/squid . This script accepts
parameters like start|stop|status . If you compile your own squid and put the
binary in another directory than the default install from SUSE, you just have
to adapt one variable at the beginning of the script:

SQUID_BIN=/usr/sbin/squid

(this is the SUSE default value). Maybe you have to set the variable for the
config file, too.

Using the script, you can easily define the runlevels in which squid should
start automatically using insserv (or chkconfig). Of course you can use GUIs
for this, too (Webmin, YaST).

Regards,

Peter

--