RE: [squid-users] Squid on a ppp box

From: Gert Brits <gbrits@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:51:08 +0200

Hi There

Treat your Proxy server as a normal pc dialing to your ISP, like:

Under your /etc/resolve.conf file, add the DNS servers your ISP provide.
This file should contain two lines

search yourdomain.com
nameserver 196.196.196.196

This will resolve the DNS problem. Make sure that the squid server can get
its own hostname, test by typing squid -z on the command line, and tail your
access.log file for errors. If it does have a problem resolving its
hostname, just edit your squid.conf file, and add your hostname:

visible_hostname proxy.yourdomain.com

Edit your /etc/hosts file, and split the hostname for localhost as well:

127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
196.196.196.196 proxy.yourdomain.com

Only do this if your Dial up is static, and you have the same ip every time
when you dial up. If not, just take out the second line I made in the
/etc/hosts file.

Let me know if you WANT SQUID to dial up the connection if it gets a request
or NOT.

Cause then you would have to change the

half_closed_clients off
client_lifetime 10 minutes

This is to prevent some user from browsing the net, and going to the
bathroom, and forgetting that he is connected. This would allow squid to
close a connection if not used, and not cause hang up connections. This is
just extra things I am thinking of.

Regards

Gert Brits
Senior Engineer