RE: [squid-users] Where are the DNS entries stored?

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:27:28 +0200

> On Wednesday 09 June 2004 08:48, Elsen Marc wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have recently started using squid (not transparent yet). I
> > > have a few questions:
> >
> > Not transparant = good = keep it that way.
>
> Why?

 Because transparant proxying violates TCP/IP networking semantics; in the
 case for instance a browser through http thinks it talks directly to
 a remote webserver over ip. This and the way http interacts with the
 networking layer can lead to subttle issues and problems.

 Sometimes users start reporting problems with hotmail and other sites,
 often due to , for instance interleaving auth. mechanism(s), which subsequently
 check the origin of http - https connections.

 Other issues may 'appear' and apply, such as browser not succeeding
 to revalidate objects because it thinks, it was talking to the remote webserver
 directly, which it ain't in the case of transparant proxying.

 M.